Prior to the advent of UV cured inks and varnishes, many printers and converters struggled to obtain ink density and performance. Water & solvent based systems require hot air or IR drying equipment to flash off solvents or water to yield a 60% solid ink or coating. Ultraviolet inks & coatings are made up of 100% solid materials which yield a 100% solid ink or coating when properly cured.
It is proven that the use of UV cured inks adhesives and coatings offers superior results including:
- 100% Solid inks provide higher print quality – vibrant solids and cleaner, sharper dot structures
- Better end product performance due to outstanding abrasion & chemical resistance
- Super high gloss, chemically resistant varnishes protect the printed surface better, make the printing “pop” and are much less expensive than film laminates
- Less down time as UV inks and coatings can remain in the machine overnight or between shift changes (simply cover the pan)
- Higher profitability in flexo printing as they produce less waste
- 100% solid UV inks do not change colors
- Excellent print impression is much easier and faster to obtain
- Improved throughput – higher line speeds from instantaneous curing
- Environmentally friendly – ultraviolet curing does not produce Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's) which are the leading cause of destroying the ozone layer that protects the earth from harmful elements of the sun.